THANK YOU to all of you who took the time to share some of your favorite recipes, products, tips and more! Below is a list of all the recommendations and all of them are included on our website under the appropriate menu. I’m quite confident I made comments to alter recipes to make them SCD compliant, as always double check ingredients and replace butter, maple syrup, etc. Let me know if you have any questions.
- Dehydrating cookies makes them much crispier and turns treats that come out mushy, into yummy treats.
- Lightly frying breads to toast them makes them a bit crispier.
- Roast slivered almonds or other nuts with spices or honey or oils, etc. These candied nuts are great toppings for a salad or even just a snack.
- Use carrots or sliced bell peppers to dip into guacamole or salsa for a great snack.
- Use different nut flours so you don’t get burnt out on almond flour and coconut flour.
- Thin spatulas make crepe-making easier.
- Frozen watermelon is a tasty and easy treat!
- Whole Foods & Trafer Joe’s has a prosuito, which is great wrapped around asparagus
- Using a “Vitamix-type” blender to mix batter for baked goods gives it a fluffy, great texture.
- Pre-make breakfast for the week by making the mix for an egg scramble with veggies and spices, bake in oven for around 15 minutes at 350F or until done, keep an eye on them. They freeze well and all you have to do in the morning is heat them up! Freezing muffins to heat up for breakfast works great too!
- Mix up smoothies with different fruit combinations. A great one is cherries, blueberries, strawberries, kale and orange juice.
- Triple batches and freeze them for later to save time in the future. Freezing and dehydrating different recipes allows for greater variety.
- Make your own trail mixes with dried fruits and nuts, pre-bag for a great snack during the week that is ready to grab and go!
- Most grocery stores allow you to try it before you buy it! Don’t be afraid to ask!
- From a patient…“Got _____’s “pill cam” results from Dr D this week and he is ulcer free after a year on SCD and 4 tabs Lialda/day, plus probiotics! He has been super compliant. She now says he can go off the Lialda.
- You are welcome to pass on this positive story to other parents and patients. It’s a scary thing and it helps to know there is something we can have control over with diet.
- From a patient…”I make certain that I have a ready supply of something my daughters consider a treat. I make certain that the treat is rarely given so that it is a treat. I make certain she brings her treat to birthday parties. Her teacher also tells me when there will be treats. Birthday treats at school are probably the hardest situation- watching kids eat Krispy Kreme. I make certain that she knows that she will get something (at home, worst case) so that she does not feel deprived. When we travel (we cruise a lot), I bring a lot of food for her. We regularly talk about how she felt/looked before SCD. The “go ________” praise from Dr. D, family, friends helps immensely. I also take care not to eat illegal food in front of her (it is a rare occasion that I do because I feel better myself without empty carbohydrates). We do SCD together.”
- From a patient…”I have to say what immediately came to mind for me was at the end of
some very difficult days, I would remind myself of what was truly in &
out of our control (in terms of managing a disease.) Gently
identifying these things in my heart reminded me daily that I had to
learn to be satisfied with my efforts, one day at a time.”
- From a patient…”I recommend a 504 ASAP, and a therapist who specializes in young adult issues. These have both helped my daughter!”
- 4 Mind Traps That Cause Us to Cheat on Our Diets (and How to Beat Them) by Steven Wright
- Curry Indian Spice Chicken
- Portobello Mushroom Pizza
- Beef Jerky Recipes (2)
- Easy & Quick Biscuits
- Fennel, Apple and Celery Salad
- Roast Chicken
- Garlic Breadsticks
- Taco Cups
- Tortilla Chips
- Fried Chicken Instructions
- Simple Cake Recipe
- Jim’s Fluffy Pancakes
- Honey Baked Beans
- Honey Glazed Chicken Bacon Bites
- Orange Sesame Chicken
- Jim’s Sweet Ribs
- Ranch Dressing II
- Pumpkin Poppers
- Asian Green Curry Coconut Chicken Soup
- Homemade Trail Mix
- Banana Cinnamon Pancakes
- Turkey Medley
- Fluffy Coconut Flour Waffles
- Sausage Quick Bread
- Snickerdoodle Blondies
- Microwave Easy Biscuits
- Coconutty Turkey Nuggets
- Sweet-N-Salty Coconut Chips
- Coconut Milk from Coconut Flakes
- Balsamic Dressing
- Spicy Turkey Snack
- Zucchini Chips II
- Homemade Syrup
- Zipcicles: http://zipzicles.com
- Thomas Chipman Beetroot Chips
- Trader Joe’s Jalapeño Hot Sauce
- Spring Roll Wrap & Banana Ice Cream at Baagan in Roseville
- Davis Food Co-Op