Servings: 1 big mason jar
- 2 Cups unsweetened, preservative-free coconut flakes
- 4 to 6 cups filtered water (less for thicker coconut milk, more for runnier)
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp raw honey
- Measure a little over 4 cups of filtered water. Pour it into a pan, and heat it till it is very hot, but not boiling. As the water is warming, measure out 2 cups of unsweetened, flaked coconut.
- Add the warm water and flaked coconut to the blender. Blend well, for a few minutes, on high.
- When the mixture is thoroughly blended, pour the liquid through a strainer, to remove the fiber. You may want to add a layer of cheesecloth or an un-bleached coffee filter inside the strainer, to remove even more of the fiber. (With a Vitamix, typically this extra step is unnecessary.)
- Pour the strained liquid back in your blender, and add vanilla and honey to taste. Once you are happy with the taste and consistency, you are ready to use your coconut milk!